Saturday, September 29, 2012

When "Poco Rubato" means "Ano ba 'to?" (What's this?)


This I know.  A few months back, I went back to take piano lessons because I love Jim Brickman’s “Valentine” and I was so inspired after seeing him in concert at Strathmore Music Hall.  I wanted to play his music, a rather ambitious feat for someone with my skills. You see, I have the interest, but I don’t have a natural talent for playing a musical instrument. 

I knew what would happen.  I have been told the following over and over again by piano teachers:

1.      No one is chasing you, take your time.  Take it slow. (Unsaid: Playing it fast does not make it sound any better)

2.      You play with feelings.  (Unsaid: you have feelings, technique not so muchJ)

3.      That was good. You know, Mr. Bach, the composer right? He has been dead for over a hundred years and he is turning in his grave when you play this. He did not intend it to be jazz. (Unsaid: you are insulting the composer)

4.      Read the music, do not mix sight and sound.  You need more literature. (Unsaid: you are wasting your money and my time). Yes, the composer intended that to be a B flat.  Don't second guess.  Play it as he intended. 

5.      My husband (HB): I do not like that.  Oh yeah? Who does not like Malaguena music? I play it anyway but always when he is not home J (Unsaid: Tha't awful. You need to practice more)

Anyway, I took lessons last summer specifically to learn chords (did not happen) and play Jim Brickman’s Valentine (disaster).  I abandoned the lessons after the fifth session.  The MO was that I practice, I play for the instructor, her cell phone rings, she excuses herself, I get annoyed and cannot get over my mental block on syncopated (I call them psychopathic) phrases, she criticizes or critiques my playing of the same, and then we are done within 20 minutes and I am not always sure what I paid for.

It dawned on me that I can instead invite the Fedex delivery guy to listen before he leaves the packages on my  door but I am sure he does not have time and I might traumatize the poor guy.  Disappointed at my inability to play Valentine, I hid Jim Brickman’s music book at the bottom of my music sheet drawer the day I quit my lessons. 

I am my foremost critic.  HB  told me that I only have to enjoy it and that is the only thing that should matter.  I love playing during the early morning hours of Saturdays with my cup of coffee and the silence around me.  When I go upstairs, HB would say, “Thanks for the serenade.” He knows never to compliment me. When he does, my fingers would lose memory and out goes the “concert.”  I would sometimes miss a note and I could hear him upstairs softly say, “Ooops!”  My cats are a different story though.  They would stay with me and then one would start walking on the keys like saying, “Spare us, let me end it for you!”

 I adored my first adult piano teacher in the U.S. She called me Munioz.  She was drunk half the time and she played more than I did during the lessons and she was so good, she could move me to tears. I shared Francesco Buencamino’s Harana  music sheet with her and she played it by sight the first time she saw it.  I asked her to play “Kahapon Lamang” and when she played, I was teary- eyed as she interpreted so poignantly music she has not seen before.  I told her after she played what the lyrics said.  My first and only recital was at her mansion.  She knew how terrified I was so she allowed me to play while others were having their wine and appetizers. My only attentive audience was her late elderly mother, God bless her soul.  She showered me with encouragement and “bravo!” I think it was more for my chutzpah than anything else. 

I loved my second piano teacher because she was very supportive and spoke Tagalog, English, and Mandarin.  She owned a Steinway and she told me that she did not have a piano growing up so she would hang out by the UST Conservatory of Music and play their piano until she was “discovered.” The instructor who walked in on her gave her lessons.  She went to Julliard but also has a PhD in psycho analysis. She is Chinay and I met her when she substituted for my first teacher. They live in the same community so I would try not to park my car where my first teacher might see my defection.  So with Professor Li, I got lessons and free psycho analysis.  She retired and moved away to Indiana and I stopped taking lessons. She told me never to give up my love for playing, “hao ting sound when you play” (beautiful sound when you play) she would say. 

The first time I went to Mrs. Li’s house, I told her I had tennis elbow and did not play the piano for over a year.  She asked me how it happened. I told her that I wanted so much to memorize my Mozart that I took an Adderall pill, don’t ask me where I got it – so that I could focus and I played straight for more than 6 hours, so focused that I perpetuated the same mistakes over and over again. I played until I could not lift my arms anymore.  I thought it was funny but it was not fun suffering for over a year.  She then took a kimono belt and wrapped it around me so that my elbows were pinned to my body.  It looked like a straitjacket. She was a psychoanalyst alright. It helped me maintain proper alignment.  She helped me learn the theme song from The Pianist because I loved the film and then I played a Filipino love song I learned "oido" style for her and she smiled from ear to ear.  I should try and find her….I digress.  After Sutsen Li retired and moved, I played without instructions. I read my notes, I play when I want to and I do not get stressed if I cannot practice religiously.

To welcome my Steinway two weekends ago, I decided to revisit Jim Brickman.  I begin and end every piano playing with Bach’s Prelude –you know that one. I even threw in a simplified Moonlight Sonata, etc.  Curious if my fingers retained any memory, I pulled out Jim Brickman’s Valentine and played it.  Something magical happened – I played it without any problem.  Of course, I get confused about those colons J you know, the dots that tell the player to go back somewhere and go straight to the finish line…but unlike when my last piano teacher would send me into panic anxiety attack, I was pleased and light hearted when I finished Valentine.  I set my own rules and I do not get hung up with all the notations.  I follow piano, super pianissimo, super forte, lean heavily and break the keys loud, and “so help me God, don’t wake up the neighbors calm down” notations.  I do all that but for the first time, I just played like this was the most natural thing to do on a Thursday night, being reminded of my HB’s wise advice to me this morning. He said, “Don’t worry , we will make sure your piano is tuned, whatever is necessary for you to enjoy it but we cannot spend more money to tune it to concert quality. "You are after all just an advanced beginner.” I laughed and thanked him  facetiously for the “compliment.”  It is the truth. I ain't Mozart.  Poco rubato all the way.  Hey, music is awesome at  this level, thank you very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment