Thursday, May 31, 2012

To my Mom, the most fragrant flower in my garden...

13th Letter of Gratitude per Rx by Dr. Richard Carlson, author of “Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff and It’s all Small Stuff”
                                      stock photo, sampaguita, available online, accessed 5/31/12

Dear Mom Trinidad,

Thank you for getting me out into this world, kicking ass from the get go. You left me with the following advices that I took to heart:

1) Do not swim away from those who are drowning; throw them a lifeline. DONE

2) Do the best in whatever you do. If you want to become a professional dancer, be the best dancer.   SMILE

3) Watch and learn when I cook. The secret is in the “sangkutsa” (simmering to blend flavors) DONE

4) Have “urbanidad.” Dress in clean clothes. Use flatware, use a serving spoon, do not smack your lips when eating, say “this is good” once and eat. DONE/DOING

5) Do not come to the dining table without having washed your face and having combed your hair. DONE

6) So long as your friends do not make you do things that are inappropriate and questionable, then continue your friendship even when other people would criticize your friends. TRUE

7) Save $5 every payday. DONE when I remember.

8) Do not be shy; you are as good as the next person. DONE

9) Pray in your heart and mind; you do not have to go to church to pray. God is inside of you. DONE/DOING

10) Do not be bitter towards the man who fathered your son. He gave you a wonderful gift. TRUE

11) Be generous both in your material possessions and in spirit. You get back and much more what you give away. TRUE DONE/DOING

12) Do not be judgmental; look at yourself first before you judge others. Everyone has a skeleton in their closet, secrets that will remain so. You cast the first stone and it may boomerang and hit you hard on the face. AGREE/DOING

My sister Elvie told me that have you been alive today, you would be 100! I think that you are ok where you are!! So here is the deal: you were clearly a woman ahead of your time and you know what I mean. Those are our secrets. Mothers know best! Thank you for giving me life. You live in my heart and I always think of you when I tend my little garden. I still have a clear vision of your immense and beautiful flower garden in Nueva Ecija. You were kind to your pets Reddy, Henry, Limbas, numerous cats, what else have I missed, generous to needy friends and always took in strangers. I would wake up to a runaway teen-ager staying with us or a distant relative staying with us for months. Thank for those lessons. Finally, I really like that you told your Father to “stick it up” when he forbade you to marry a mere farm hand of his. You ran away with my father! You were my Gabriela, you were my feminista, MAKIBAKA!

HAPPY MOTHER’S MONTH TO ALL!

No comments:

Post a Comment